Saturday, March 03, 2012

Conformity or Not?

Now let's repeat the non-conformists' oath:
I promise to be different! (repeat)
I promise to be unique! (repeat)
I promise not to repeat things other people/write say! (repeat)
Good!
-Steve Martin

I find so many people want what others have. I get requests "Make me a video like that one." - What they don't understand in life is that what makes us or our business special, is being unique. - Making the choice to blend in means you don't have faith in your concept or business. Success isn't about safety. - If what I create for you looks like what everyone else has, you don't get recognized. However safe it makes you feel to have what everyone else has, its death in advertising and business.

One of the most important things you do in business is getting the word out why you are different from your competition. The only thing higher on the list is your value proposition.

When it comes to faith, look at Jesus. He was never safe. Regardless of what some of my friends believe, Jesus was a radical of the highest order (and a salesman). But, we've dumbed down our faith to conforming and the status quo.

Its the same for anything else. Life, love, business, or your faith. We need to be radically on the edge in everything we do if we want to make a dent in the universe.

I probably need to learn more of that too.

No comments: